Our next event:
Tuesday 10th December 2019
Hampshire Writers’ Society Published Members’ Book Fair from 6pm,
networking , mince pies, bar and entertainment
Talk at 7.30pm
Venue: University of Winchester, Sparkford Road, Winchester SO22 4NR
Caroline has been an editor for 30 years for publishers large and small, corporate and independent, including Bloomsbury, Cassell, Routledge and Biteback. She specialises in non-fiction, with a particular interest in ‘big ideas’ books and political and literary biographies.
Talk: What are editors looking for?
In this talk she aims to unravel the mysteries of what makes editors tick, offering suggestions on when you need an agent and when you don’t, how to make your submission enticing and how to get the best from your publisher. Along the way, she discusses her experiences of brilliant authors, unexpected bestsellers and publishing nightmares.
Special Guest: David Eadsforth, historical novelist
Competition: Write a letter to an editor pitching a new book (300 words). Entry deadline: 25th November (See website for rules of the competition)
Adjudicator: Caroline Wintersgill
The Hampshire Writers’ Society welcomes all aspiring and published writers wherever they live.
The Society will soon be celebrating its ninth season of talks, readings, panels and performances by well known novelists, authors, playwrights, scriptwriters, literary agents, editors and industry specialists.
Annual Membership £30, free to students, visitors £5 per event
The subscription includes:
- Membership for the season September 2019 until August 2020
- Free entry to the monthly HWS writing competitions (10 competitions)
- Free membership of the HWS critique group (meets 3rd Tuesday of the month in the Stripe building, University of Winchester)
- A stall at the Book Fair (December and June) for published members, includes self published
- Entry to our events on Tuesday evenings.
- Free membership to students with their student card
To help you get started, here are some quick links: