Entry Conditions for all HWS Competitions
- The deadline date for entries is 12 noon the 25th of the month prior to each month that the competition is to be held. (Entries may also be handed in at the previous meeting.)
- One submission per entrant will be accepted.
- The filename/subject of online entries must be the title of the entry, plus author’s name (Charlie Dickens – The Old Curiosity Supermarket – January) and it must be either a .doc, .docx, or .pdf file. Online entries will be confirmed by an email response of thanks from the Competitions Secretary. Email address: competitions.hwsAThotmail.com (Please replace AT with @)
- There are no fees for members or student members. The £5 entrance fee will cover guest competition entries.
- All entries must be in English, be original and unpublished work, written by one author and must not have won an award in any previous competition. Entries must show the entrant’s name or pseudonym as well as the title and the month of the competition in the subject line of the email. eg. Charlie Dickens – The Old Curiosity Supermarket – January
All entries must be typed double-spaced. (Poetry and letters are the only exception and should be single spaced, one page only.)
- Minimum font 12pt.
- The word count for each competition is not to be exceeded. (There is a 10% allowance for each word count, however, if this is exceeded, your entry will be returned to you so this can be rectified – but this does not allow an extended deadline.)
- Amendments cannot be made to entries after they have been submitted, nor substitutions made.
- Copyright of each entry remains with the author, but the HWS will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning entries, (including runners up), in the annual anthology and any relevant promotional material. The editor reserves the right to limit the number of words and to correct manuscripts in accordance with the size and quality standard of The HWS Anthology.
Adjudication and Prizes
- Results will be announced on the evening, and prizes will be awarded, (or kept until the next meeting if not collected).
- Uncollected prizes will be held for one year only.
- Adjudications will be returned with all winning competition entries on the evening.
- All winners and highly commended will be posted on the HWS Website (Note: no grammatical changes will be made so please esure that you are content with your own editing).
- Entries will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- The Adjudicator’s decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into. Judging is fair and unbiased.
- The HWS reserves the right to change the Adjudicator without notice.
- The HWS will award the following prizes: 1st, 2nd and 3rd prizes will be suitable books by the main speaker, or a seasonal gift such as chocolates. Other prizes such as notepads and writing materials may be given on occasion.
- The Adjudicator has the final decision as to whether an entry is rejected based on the guidelines above.
The HWS reserves the right to amend these rules where it is deemed necessary to do so. Any changes to the rules will be posted on the HWS Website.