Entry Conditions for all HWS Competitions
(Updated September 2021)
- To enter the competition, you must be a registered member of the Hampshire Writers’ Society. Your membership needs to be renewed each September. See https://hampshirewriterssociety.co.uk/our-policies/memberships/ which gives details of how to become a member.
- The deadline date for entries is midnight on 25th of the month (unless otherwise stated)
- One submission only per entrant will be accepted.
- The filename/subject of online entries must be the author’s name, author’s entry title and month of competition e.g. Charlie Dickens – The Old Curiosity Supermarket – September
- It must be either a .doc or .docx file.
- No author names are to be included within the document itself to ensure adjudication is completely anonymous.
- All entries must be in English, be original and unpublished work, written by one author and must not have won an award in any previous competition.
- All entries must be typed, double-spaced (Poetry and letters are the only exception and should be single-spaced, one page only).
- Minimum font 12pt.
- The word count for each competition is not to be exceeded (There is a 10% allowance for each word count, however, if this is exceeded, your entry will be returned to you so this can be rectified – but this does not allow an extended deadline).
- Online entries will be confirmed by an email response of thanks from the Competitions Manager. Email your entry to: competitions.hws(AT)hotmail.com – replace (AT) with @
- Amendments cannot be made to entries after they have been submitted, nor substitutions made.
- Copyright of each entry remains with the author, but the HWS will have the unrestricted right to publish the winning entries, (including runners up), on the HWS website.
- Results will be announced mid-month.
- All winners and highly commended entrants will be posted on the HWS Website (Note: no grammatical changes will be made so please ensure that you are content with your own editing).
- Entries will not be returned, so please keep a copy.
- The Adjudicator’s decision is final and no individual correspondence can be entered into. Judging is fair and unbiased.
- The HWS reserves the right to change the Adjudicator without notice.
- The Adjudicator has the final decision as to whether an entry is rejected based on the guidelines above.
The HWS reserves the right to amend these rules where it is deemed necessary to do so. Any changes to the rules will be posted on the HWS Website.